Established in 1943, San Diego Van & Storage, Co. began as a local delivery company. Our primary business was the delivery of pianos for the Thearle Music Company and its subsidiaries. The San Diego movers only had one truck with a lift-gate.
At first, Ed and Shirley De Bolt operated the piano delivery business on a part-time basis from their kitchen. As the company grew and prospered, private piano and organ moves were added, then local moves. Additional equipment was added and the business expanded to larger local moves, as well as moves to the Los Angeles area.
In the mid 1950s, a warehouse was leased at 9th and K Street. Storage was added to the list of services, and the business no longer operated from the De Bolt's home. Carrier representation was secured, and San Diego Van & Storage was in the long distance moving business. Filings were made with the Naval Supply Center and the military moving division was added. The San Diego moving company began transporting goods worldwide.
In 1960, Ed and Shirley built their first warehouse at 20th and Commercial Street, and the company moved into its new quarters. Early in the 1960s, Ed purchased Hayden Transfer & Storage, the San Diego Mayflower agent, and leased a warehouse in Lemon Grove to facilitate the additional volume of business. The company's growth resulting from the Mayflower agency was phenomenal. Then locations in El Cajon and San Marcos opened.
San Diego Van & Storage has come a long way from the modest one-truck beginning in Ed and Shirley De Bolt's kitchen to five warehouses totaling 129,000 square feet, with approximately 100 units of equipment. Ed guided his company from its humble beginnings in 1943 to the largest moving and storage company in San Diego County by providing outstanding service to the moving public.